Xylitol. Deadly to Dogs! Do you know what Xylitol is? I had no idea. Xylitol is a sugar alcohol. It's an artificial sweetener created from rasperries, plums and corn. It's found in a lot of different products gum (like IceBreakers), candy, toothpaste and more.
It's not bad for humans, but could be fatal for dogs!! Signs of toxicity can be seen as quickly as 30 minutes! Here is a list of what to look for if your dog ingests Xylitol.
- Ataxia (uncoordinated movements)
- Hypokalemia (decreased potassium)
- Liver dysfunction and/or failure
If you suspect that your pet has eaten a xylitol-containing sweet or food, please contact your veterinarian or Animal Poison Control Center immediately.